Plus, to make things worse, the touchpad on my laptop is so retarded that it keeps erasing my post! *mumble* As I was saying, before my laptop rudely interrupted me (by erasing my thoughts), it started off with a wardrobe crisis (I didn’t have anything to wear), which made me slightly late. And I got wind of some less than thrilling news which made me rethink certain issues…which led to me messing up my cupcake recipe, spilling sugar all over the floor and scrambling my meringue. Can it really get worse?
Not really. I soothed my nerves with a cold shower and a cupcake, the one with extra frosting, all for me.
The cupcake is fluffy, very rich in banana-y flavour and gets a double wham of banana-ness from the banana in the buttercream. I’ve said banana three times now, in the last sentence. You get how much banana’s in this thing right?
Roasted Banana Cupcakes
4 medium bananas
3/4c+ 2 tbsp GF flour blend
2 tbsp buckwheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 c veg oil
80g brown sugar
2 tbsp honey
1) Roast the bananas for 15 mins at 200degreesC. It’s best to roast the bananas on a piece of foil because the ‘juice’ leaks out. Let cool to room temperature. Mash 3, KEEP ONE FOR FROSTING. Add in the honey.
2) Reduce oven to 180degreesC, line 9 cupcake tins with paper.
3) Sift the flours, baking soda and baking powder together in a small bowl.
4) In the bowl of a kitchenaid, whisk the eggs and sugar until pale and fluffy, double in volume. Add in oil and whisk for another minute.
5) Tip in the flour and mix in by hand. Add in the banana+honey mixture. Divide evenly between cupcakes cases. (I got 9 cupcakes)
6) Bake for 20-25 minutes or until skewer inserted comes out clean.
7) Cool in muffin pan for 5 mins before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
Roasted Banana Buttecream
1) Prepare 1 recipe Swiss Meringue Buttercream, without white chocolate
2) Mash the remaining 1 roasted banana. Mix into the swiss meringue buttercream.
3) It will not be as smooth since the banana pieces make it slightly rough, but it really isn’t obvious.
To assemble: Pipe frosting over the completely cooled cupcakes. Chop some chocolate very finely and sprinkle over the top! :) Stuff your face and make your day.
This is always my entry into the #61 Sugar High Friday- Comfort Desserts hosted by A Merrier World. What can I say? Banana’s, in all their sticky, creamy-ness, is comforting. And I will sleep like a baby tonight.